According to the DoD, the response to the reopening of MyCAA has been “great.” So great in fact, that the DoD is asking spouses to use the MyCAA online messaging system due to demand and volume of calls. The downside is that it may take up to 5 business days to get an answer to their questions.
The DoD is also passing along that applications and requests for Education & Training Plans and Financial Assistance may take up to 15 calendar days to process. According to the MyCAA section of the Military Onesource website, MyCAA will contact spouses through the MyCAA Message Box if additional information is needed to approve an education and training plan. Applicants must check their Message Box regularly for information and notifications about their request.
As a reminder – recent changes to the MyCAA program restricted the program to the following eligible spouses:
- Spouse of an active duty Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marine service member, or activated Reserve member in pay grades E1-E5, W1-W2, or O1-O2.
- If the spouse of National Guard and/or AGR member, the sponsor must be on federal Title 10 active duty orders as reported in DEERS.
- Spouses of Guard/Reserve members in an Alert, Transition Assistance, or Post Deployment status are not eligible.
- MyCAA accounts will be limited to the new $4,000 maximum benefit with a $2,000 fiscal year cap. Waivers to the fiscal year cap will be available for spouses pursuing licensure or credentials with a cost that exceeds the $2,000 fiscal year cap up to the total maximum assistance of $4,000.
- Spouses must finish their program of study within three years from the start date of the first course.
- Funding is limited to only Associate’s degrees, certifications and licensure programs.
Spouses (even if you no longer qualify for the MyCAA program) that have had a MyCAA account can still access their course information by logging in into the MyCAA website. If information is needed on other sources of financial assistance please contact a Military OneSource consultant at 800-342-9647.